Nicki Minaj recently had the privilege of a big profile in this weekend’s New York Times Sunday Styles section. The profile revealed a lot of interesting information that many of her fans might not know about Ms. Minaj. Everyone is well aware that Nicki Minaj is constantly making moves. For example she will be performing for the first time ever at this year’s Grammy’s, but here are 10 things about the female MC that may surprise you:
1. As early as a year ago, Nicki was making her own dresses in her basement.
2. A big priority of her agent (Cortez Bryant) is “to negotiate a deal with a fashion house so Ms. Minaj can sell her own line of clothes.”
3. She approached MAC (not the other way around) prior to the debut of her first album to ask to be a spokesperson for the quirky makeup brand. She had her eye on a Viva Glam spot. Since she wasn’t famous yet, they gave her a smaller lipstick line, which sold out several times over. Voila–she’s now 2012′s Viva Glam spokesperson (with Ricky Martin.)
4. Vogue has apparently been a fan since the early days. The mag’s director of special events, Sylvana Ward Durrett, supposedly recommended Nicki to be the entertainment at a Christie’s charity event, noting that she was “about to hit it big.”
5. She does not have a full-time stylist, though she uses them for events. If she wants an outfit her publicist will request it from designers.
6. The one-of-a-kind Barbie made in her likeness was auctioned for charity for $5,605.
7. She was too busy touring to be in W‘s July music issue, despite EIC Stefano Tonchi wanting her there. (Her people lobbied W for another shot, and the result was her cover for the November art-focused issue.)
8. She met with Wilhelmina Models, but didn’t end up signing with them (unclear from the article why she didn’t sign.)
9. Victoria’s Secret approached Nicki early on to perform in the Victoria’s Secret show, but talks “foundered.” After Cee Lo Green dropped out, Nicki stepped up and performed.
10. And what about that Vogue cover? Nicki’s agent is reportedly “in talks.” He told the NYT, “That’s on my wish list. I hope. I hope.”
Natles [aka Natalie Nicole], everythingYNTK for VIBEVixen.com
Natles | @natnatles on twitter