With NYC Mercedes Benz Fashion Week approaching (Sept.8-15th) and Atlanta hosting the world-wide Fashions Night Out event (Sept.8th), fashionistas all around the city can’t help but wonder, when are we going to have an official Atlanta Mercedes Benz Fashion Week?
Mercedes Benz Fashion Week (the official New York Fashion Week) is from September 8-15th. Mayor Reed and The City of Atlanta are partnering with NYC, Milan, and Australia to host the world wide fashion event FASHION’S NIGHT OUT.
But is only one day enough for Atlanta to boast all of their culture, politics, and art? I don’t think so. Atlanta has proved that it is ready to put its best PUMP forward and host a week of fashion events. We just need a cohesive and organized plan that the city needs to take seriously. Will we be so lucky to have the City of Atlanta host our first annual Atlanta Mercedes Benz Fashion Week? At the rate we’re going, I think we’re well on our way!
Why should Atlanta be at the forefront of fashion you ask?
Let’s look at the facts:
1. Atlanta is the #1 city for R&B and Hip-Hop Music
- The City of Atlanta boasts Grammy Award winning artists such as Ludacris, OutKast, T.I, Usher, TLC
- The BET Hip Hop Awards is filmed in Atlanta because of the heavy musical influence
- It is a well known fact that both of these genres of music have a strong influence over the fashion industry
2. Atlanta is becoming a staple in the movie and broadcasting industries
- Producer, Writer, and Actor Tyler Perry has built one of the largest and most respectable studios on the east coast, Tyler Perry Studios which is a whopping 200,000 acres. People who were in attendance at the TPS opening: Sidney Poitier, Will Smith, Cicely Tyson, Oprah Winfrey and Hank Aaron
- The new hit VH1 T.V. series Single Ladies featuring Lisa Ray and Stacey Dash is filmed in and takes place in Atlanta
- BRAVO’s Real Housewives of Atlanta was not only the most watched of the entire housewives series (Orange County, New Jersey, New York, D.C) but in 2009 it was the most watched and highest rated reality series on the Bravo Network!
- The hit show Vampire Diaries (recent winner of 5 Teen Choice Awards) is filmed in Atlanta
- MTV’s Teen Wolf series is filmed in Atlanta
- More than 700 film and television projects have shot in Georgia including these in 2009-2010: Hall Pass, Due Date, Big Mommas: Like Father Like Son, The Vampire Diaries, Drop Dead Diva, The Conspirator, For Colored Girls, The Blind Side, I Can Do Bad All By Myself, The Last Song, Zombieland, Get Low, The Crazies, Life As We Know It, The Lottery Ticket, Halloween 2, The Greening of Whitney Brown and My Super Psycho Sweet 16.
3. Atlanta has the WORLD’s busiest airport
- Forget The City That Never Sleeps! Since 2000, Atlanta has had the busiest airport out of all the airports not only in the U.S. but the entire world! That’s almost 12 years of high traffic!
4. Atlanta is the home to some of the largest WORLD headquarters
- Corporations such as The Coca-Cola Company, Turner Broadcasting, The Home Depot, AT&T Mobility, UPS, and Delta Air Lines
5. Atlanta has the country’s fourth-largest concentration of Fortune 500 companies
- And more than 75 percent of Fortune 1000 companies have business operations in the metropolitan area, helping Atlanta realize a gross metropolitan product of US$270 billion
6.The High Museum has partnered with the Louvre and other major art museums
- The High Museum of Art doubled in size and launched partnerships with major institutions such as the Louvre and New York’s Museum of Modern Art
- The Alliance Theatre won a Tony Award, placing it among the nation’s leading performing arts venues
- The Fox Theatre is an historic landmark and one of the highest grossing venues in the world
7. Atlanta features the WORLD’s largest indoor aquarium
- The Georgia Aquarium, containing more animals than any other aquarium in more than eight million gallons of water and more than sixty exhibits, including a dolphin exhibit.
8. Atlanta contains the seventh-highest concentration of diplomatic missions in the United States
- A home of 24 general consulates, in 2011, it was announced that Atlanta would be the host of the next Indian consulate.
PUMPS AND XOXOS!