From UPTOWN–During New York Fashion Week, we spied quite a few nail trends that will fancy up your fingertips long before the spring season is upon us once again. Read on for four notable NYFW nail trends you can pull off right now!
1. Stripe Me Down
Everything stripes according to nail artiste Julie Kandalec. Black on white stripes are the perfect look against an LBD or a simple white tee, blazer and heels.
The guru used Nails Inc. London hues to create a signature look for the pretties at Alice + Olivia during the SS12 presentation.
Julie’s tutorial will take you from drab to fab in 10 minutes or less.
1. Start with a waterless manicure. Soaking the nails in water causes the nail to swell, preventing polish from lasting as long.
2. Clean and prep the nail with cleansing alcohol and one coat of Base coat. (Kensington Caviar base coat)
3. Apply 2 coats of opaque white polish (Floral Street), let dry 2 minutes.
4. Apply one coat Kensington Caviar 45 second top coat. This seals the white and will prevent the black from blurring into it later.
5. For the black stripes (Black Taxi): use a pair of small scissors and cut away about half of the bristles. This will allow for a thinner stripe and for more control of the polish. If you don’t want to cut your brush, you can also use a small striping brush found at craft and paint supply stores.
6. Apply 2-3 horizontal stripes per nail depending on size of the nail or personal preference. Let set 2-3 minutes.
7. Apply another layer of Kensington Caviar 45 second top coat and allow to dry.